Total Pageviews

Monday 18 May 2015

Olivia Wyatt All these worthless, savage, pit bulls, in so many other cities people always have to take their worthless pit bulls for a walk and endanger other people and dogs. I carry knives with me and I strap them around my waist on a belt, then I wrap a light sweater or flannel shirt to hide my knife from people. If someone with a mean looking dog walks too near me, I expose my knife so they will restrain their dog. Hey they want a mean dog, ok I have a bad ass knife!


Wonderful article by Merritt Clifton in Animals 24/7 about how to survive a dog attack. Do read it, as it really brings home the peril you are in if it is a pit bull-type dog that is doing the attacking.
I'm going to try to put it in the files section for future reference.
http://www.animals24-7.org/…/15-real-life-tips-for-survivi…/
by Merritt Clifton For Dog Bite Prevention Week 2015 the American Humane Association and American Veterinary Medical Association have offered more than a dozen tips for avoiding ordinary dog bites ...
ANIMALS24-7.ORG|BY MERRITT CLIFTON
Like · 
  • 11 people like this.
  • Julia Lewis Loved the account of how he saved a woman jogger's life by ordering the two pit bulls that were attacking her to "sit". Nicholas Valentine, do read it!
  • Julia Lewis It shows how - sometimes - pit bulls can be "called off", as we were talking about in the other thread. But it would take great presence of mind. I don't think I would have thought of asking them to sit. I would have panicked.
  • Julia Lewis Am bumping this up!
  • Nicholas ValentineMy angle on the " calling off " argument is that people have stated that a Pit Bull can never be called off . My objection is to the word NEVER , because I know that a Pit Bull can be trained to " be called off " , the fact that most can't is down to l...See More
  • Myranya WerlemannAgreed, _sometimes_ pits can be called off.. not all pits will go into a frenzy and hang on, just like not all pits will snap at all.. The problem is their strength and tenacity _when_ they do, and the fact that it's so strong in their genes it _may_ h...See More
  • Julia Lewis Nicholas Valentine, do you suspect that that police dog in the video has pit bull in it, or do you know that is what some countries are doing? If so, that is madness!
  • Julia Lewis A friend has a lurcher with some pit in it. You wouldn't know by its looks but its behaviour is different to that of an ordinary lurcher.
  • Dennis Ballance Sr I would feel safer with roll over and play dead. I like the 80% option
  • Julia Lewis Merritt Clifton has certainly shown that, in certain circumstances, a pit bull can be called off if you interrupt its genetically-programmed attack behaviour in some way, as in ordering it to sit.
  • Dennis Ballance Sr Problem he can get back up some good info well worth the read
  • Nicholas Valentine Myranya Werlemann , what you have just said is quite correct . I think dogs should be bred for purpose and if you want a family pet people should get a breed that is suitable as such .
  • Nicholas ValentineJulia , just seen your post . The dog in the video looks pure GSD , but I know that the Dutch have crossed Pit into the Mals and Dutch Shepherds , the Police are importing them to replace their GSDs because they have such hip problems . To take a bite/ hold is stock in trade for a Police dog . In the video the handler is at fault for allowing his dog near enough to someone who doesn't appear to be a threat for the dog to bite . Interesting you mention lurchers . The bull cross lurchers have gained huge popularity amongst those that run dogs . I would say a rough estimate 50% of working lurchers are this breeding .
  • Christy CornellThis article is EXCELLENT. Merrit brought up many good points and lots of good suggestions which I've never heard before from bite prevention "experts".

    I'm glad Merrit was such a quick thinker in that incident where he helped the jogger. The victim 
    ...See More
  • James Hassinger I disagree with the article. It says knives are not effective yet there has been many real life stories when knives have been very effective even against two attacking pit bulls. Maybe a fire extinguisher would be a better choice but those are large and not as cheap as knives and I am 100% certain a pit bull killed by a knife will no longer attack. 

    http://www.nbcnews.com/.../woman-stabs-death-two...
    A woman used a filet knife to kill two pit bulls that got...
    NBCNEWS.COM
  • James Hassinger Article also contradicts itself: it says blunt force does not work but then says to use an empty fire extinguisher as a club.
  • Julie WallI used to be very active on the public paths, sidewalks and parks but the last few years have been seeing more pit bull type dogs in the neighborhood, quite a few times at large. Houses that I would run by, I see pit bull owners letting their dog go potty without being on a leash in high traffic area. My safety has been compromised by these idiots and I'm ticked off. I worry about unsuspecting person walking pass these houses with their 'normal' pets.
  • Olivia WyattAll these worthless, savage, pit bulls have made prisoners out of so many people. Why can't they make walking zones for humans only and have them monitored by someone who doesn't allow dogs. I know the beaches have restricted zones, but in so many other cities people always have to take their worthless pit bulls for a walk and endanger other people and dogs. I carry knives with me and I strap them around my waist on a belt, then I wrap a light sweater or flannel shirt to hide my knife from people. If someone with a mean looking dog walks too near me, I expose my knife so they will restrain their dog. Hey they want a mean dog, ok I have a bad ass knife!
  • Julie Wall I just can't bring myself to carrying a knife for protection, goes against my nature.
  • Stacy Renee Snow What about a stun gun?
  • Julia Lewis Not sure how a stun gun works. Merritt says in his article that tasers don't work.
  • Merritt CliftonIf the people recommending knives, clubs, etc. had logged and evaluated the data from more than 5,000 fatal & disfiguring dog attacks, I might take their bad advice seriously. The best way to avoid harm from an attack by any species of animal, humans included, is to avoid direct physical engagement; second best is to keep the attacker as far away as possible. Anything that requires close engagement is at best a last resort.
  • Jeffrey Sloan I don't know that anyone recommends a knife for self defense against a charging pit, but knives have been shown quite effective in stopping a pit bull in the zone and attacking a beloved pet, and that is by far the most common case.
    11 hrs · Like · 

No comments:

Post a Comment